Seb Norton 

Professional display from young Blues secures win at Portman Road

A comfortable win, with goals from Tawanda Chirewa, Albie Armin and Zanda Siziba saw the young Town side triumph against Wigan Athletic’s U23’s.

The Professional Development League fixture started with each team testing their opposing defences cautiously, whilst both committing early fouls. The most noticeable of these gifted the young Town side their first chance to go in front and was positioned a yard outside of the Latics 18-yard box. However, ‘keeper Sam Tickle was equal to Cameron Humphreys’ dangerous looking direct free-kick leaving the two sides even early on.

16 minutes in, it was Siziba who was next to have an opportunity from the same spot after earning a free kick, following a late challenge on the young Striker but saw his shot fly over the Wigan crossbar.

Chriewa was first to add his name to the score sheet after a driving effort from Harley Curtis into the Wigan danger area gifted the attacker an opportunity to shoot on his left and curl the ball past Wigan’s Tickle, giving Town the lead 26 minutes in.

Town’s next real chance to add to their lead came in the form of a free kick, again placed just outside the Wigan penalty area, however Chirewa was again unable to pose any challenge to the young Latic’s Shot Stopper.

The Blues were quick out of the blocks in the second half and were rewarded a corner after an exciting build up in attacking play. Cameron Humphreys’ corner was to find Blues’ skipper, Armin at the back post, who’s headed effort was to double the Ipswich lead.

3 minutes later, the Blues were able to put a third past Tickle. Siziba, who had looked dangerous all afternoon, fired a fantastic shot through the Wigan defence and found the top-left corner of the Wigan net, celebrating the goal with a knee slide in front of the newly named ‘Magnus Group Stand’.

The young Blues continued to look dominant in the second half and pressed for a fourth. An hour in, Cameron Humphreys saw his goal disallowed as a result of an offside call after being unable to hold his run. Town were quick to regain possession, however, and another effort from Chirewa forced Tickle to make an outstretched diving save.

Wigan, looking to bounce back and attempt to take control of the game, were unfortunate not to challenge Blue’s ‘keeper, Tomas Holy, as an excellent piece of defending from centre-half Armin put an end to the run into the Town penalty area from Wigan’s Dean Pinnington. 

A penalty for Town’s Cameron Humphreys looked certain, after a challenge while through on goal looked to be within the Latics 18-yard box, however referee Michael Ryan opted for a free kick just outside the penalty area, which the young Blues were unable to capitalise on.

The young Latics looked certain to gain a consolation goal 10 minutes from the final whistle, however Chris Sze saw both of his shots in quick succession blocked at the near post.

Town: Holy, Alexander, Clements, Healy (Andoh 68), Armin (C), Baggott, Curtis (Buabo 77), Humphreys, Morris (Nwabueze 77), Chirewa, Siziba 

Subs: Cullum, Agbaje

Wigan: Tickle, Lloyd, Robinson, Carragher, Long (C), Adeeko, Pinngton, McHugh, Costello, Sze, Lomax.

Subs: Campbell, Baningime, Smith

Photo: Ross Media UK


Scroll to Top